The Congregation of the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales was founded by Fr. Peter Mary Mermier at Annecy, France in 1838. The society expanded its activities to Africa in 1988. Since arriving in Tanzania in 1988, the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales have established their presence in missions in Kenya, Uganda, Chad, Cameroon, Namibia, South Africa and Mozambique. Such tremendous growth has brought an ever-increasing number of young people seeking guidance and support to serve the Church and society in Africa.
MSFS confreres are actively involved in a fervent pastoral apostolate, plus religious formation and social services. These services include sheltering street children and orphans, empowering and offering skills training to women, and providing medical services. The missionaries also administer many formal and non-formal educational institutions in Africa. The MSFS have developed dynamic programs of formal and vocational education in their missions throughout the world.